Given all that we’ve talked about here, maybe there are some opinions on what the next Executive Director should do? Who it should be? How they should act? What salary (if any) they should be paid?
This is a chance to weigh in to the process. The search committee is consulting far and wide across the Mennonite church. Feel free to add your voice in the comment section below.
Some things to consider, if you’d like to:
Think about our current world and church and the strengths and needs of Mennonite Church USA as you understand/have experienced them.
Consider our denominational vision–Vision: Healing & Hope: “God calls us to be followers of Jesus Christ and, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to grow as communities of grace, joy, and peace so that God’s healing and hope flow through us to the world.”
Also consider our denomination’s mission: “Joining in God’s activity in the world, we develop and nurture missional Mennonite congregations of many cultures.”
Some questions to consider:
1) What role and leadership qualities do you believe we need MOST at this time in the Executive Director position to assist us in all parts of our church to live out this vision and mission in our world?
2) See below for Job Description…
3) What emphasis should the search committee highlight at this time for a special emphasis (young, Racial/Ethnic person, “insider” vs. “outsider”)?
4) Are there personal traits that you think that the new Executive Director will need in additional to those listed in the draft job description?
5) Are there new things that the new Executive Director needs to be doing and are there things that the new Executive Director should stop doing?
6) What do you want the Search Committee and the Executive Board to know as they search for a new Executive Director?
7) When you reflect on this role in the church, are there persons that you think the search committee should be considering.
2) A copy of the proposed Job Description is below. As you review the current draft:
a. What items can you affirm of the proposed job description? What items raise questions for you?
b.How do you respond to the essential qualities identified? Are they realistic? Which are MOST important to you? What is missing?
c.Additional qualities have been listed that we believe might be beneficial for this role. Would you move any of these into the essential category? Are there any you would remove? What should be added?
The Executive Director will lead Mennonite Church USA toward a Christ-centered spirituality and missional calling, and will:
• Inspire Mennonite Church USA through a compelling articulation of the vision, mission and priorities of the church
• Form and lead an Executive Leadership Team that empowers Mennonite Church USA to join in God’s activity in the world and achieve outcomes established by the Executive Board
• Serve as the Chief Executive Officer and primary public spokesperson of Mennonite Church USA
• Ensure strategic alignment in denominational efforts on the churchwide priorities of Witness, Antiracism, Leadership Development and Global Connections
• Perform such other responsibilities as requested by the Executive Board
A person who contacted me from the search committee gave me the okay to ask for y’alls opinions.
If you found this post interesting, you might like to read these posts as well:
Note: Please take the time to edit your comments for spelling, punctuation, succinct communication and paragraph breaks.